For the sixth edition of the NUHA Blogging Prizes, 98 articles were published from 15 different countries -- and the articles were viewed over 14,000 times by people connecting from 177 countries the world over! Three prizes were on offer:
- Young Writers Prize, for those born between 2002 and 2006: up to USD 250
- Youth Prize, for those born between 1998 and 2001: up to USD 1000
- Adult Prize, for those born before 1998: up to USD 2500
for authors who responded to one of the statements below, together with potential matched prizes for teachers and schools.
The winners were announced on 12 December 2016 by our experienced Jury. For the Young Writers category, it was decided that all five published authors deserved recognition rather than to award a prize, and they each received a book.
Write an essay or short story of 300 to 800 words on one of these photos:
- "Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." - Pablo Picasso. Discuss.
- Saving the planet is more important than improving individual life.' Discuss.
- What role does technology play in art? Discuss the photo, either in relation to this question or on its own.
- Do schools and universities have a responsibility to educate their students on social behaviour alongside the academic?
- Is gender segregation in schools beneficial or detrimental?
- "Vision without execution is just hallucination." - Henry Ford. Discuss.
- "The arts are of incalculable worth in what it means to be a human being." - Philip Pullman. What is the role of arts in education?