For the fourth edition of the NUHA Blogging Prizes, 45 articles were published from 17 different countries -- and the articles were viewed over 9,800 times by people connecting from 165 countries the world over! Three prizes were on offer:
- Young Writers Prize, for those born between 2000 and 2004: £50
- Youth Prize, for those born between 1996 and 1999: £100
- Adult Prize, for those born before 1996: £150
for authors who responded to one of the statements below:
- When you make a mistake, do you think you learn faster? Give some examples.
- Watch the video below. Do you agree with Logan? Why or why not?
- "To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk." - Thomas A. Edison. Do you agree? Explain by writing a short story.
- "Educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all." - Aristotle. Discuss.
- In some schools, students listen to lectures at home and do homework in class. This is known as flipped schools or flipped classrooms. Would this work for you? Explain by using specific examples.
- "I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free." - Michelangelo. Discuss.
- "I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear." - Nelson Mandela. Discuss with reference to the role of education.
- Are Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) the future of higher education?
- "Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with shades of deeper meaning." - Maya Angelou. Discuss.
The winners in the Youth and Adult categories were announced on 15 December 2014 by our experienced Jury. For the Young Writers category, it was decided that all five published authors deserved recognition rather than to award a prize, and they each received a book.